Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only allowing fishing through the Fish pass app for the time being. The single exception is that Upper Yealm is accepting paper tokens ONLY that can be purchased at Snowbee’s shop, please check their website for more details https://www.snowbee.co.uk/.
Fishing During the Lockdown
Fish Pass remains open to anglers through the Lockdown. The following extracts were taken from the latest update from the Angling Trust (8th Jan 2021), and relate to anglers fishing during the lockdown (a link to the full statement can be found below).
With infection rates and death tolls rising we must stick to the Government’s rules and ensure that angling remains part of the solution and does not cause problems. Please bear in mind these key point,
- This is a strictly limited resumption of LOCAL fishing and very different to how we have been allowed to operate since May.
- We are in a National Lockdown and this must be respected. The law requires a ‘reasonable excuse’ to leave your home or penalties will apply.
- The Government has recognised that fishing can be seen as exercise, which is expressly permitted under the lockdown rules, although outdoor recreation is not.
- Organised sporting gatherings are prohibited so no match fishing.
- The exercise is limited to once a day so no overnight fishing whatsoever.
- To remain within the law you should follow the Government’s guidance, and only fish locally. If you have no local fishing available then you will have to take your daily exercise in other ways
Full statement can be found here – Covid-19 – Angling Trust
Angler, beat owner and public safety
We ask all anglers to follow current Government guidelines on the Lockdown and social distancing. In addition to general Government guidance, please follow the recommendations below to ensure the safety of yourself, other anglers, beat owners and the general public:
- Please Fish local venues and try to avoid long distance travel
- Please use hand sanitizers before and after opening and closing gates, and fishing.
- Please use line snippers instead of biting through tippets. This will avoid potential transmission of viruses as well as other pathogens.
- Some of our beats have honesty boxes’ containing flies for anglers to use, add to and swap. Please refrain from using these until further notice.
- Please park with consideration and do not obscure farm vehicles, gate entrances or paths.
- Follow the normal Check, Clean Dry procedure with all equipment.
Fishing is a wonderful way to escape the mental and physical constraints that we have been experiencing in this unprecedented time. The WAP and Fish Pass app have always been schemes which have trusted Anglers to conduct themselves in a safe, considerate manner and to follow the rules on each Beat. As such, we hope these extra measures will be embraced by all in order to protect one another and do our bit in the fight against coronavirus.
Finally, we hope that the rest of the 2020 season is a safe, productive and enjoyable one, with plenty of fish landed.